Actually it should not be an update, but a wrap-up, as I basically have finished my project for this year. My last patch already got a +1 and it’s just waiting for the tests to finish to be committed.
I completed my selected tasks PIG-1926 and PIG-1904 (see my previous post for an explanation of what they do), plus some more small fixes here and there: PIG-2156 PIG-2136 PIG-2060 PIG-2026 PIG-2025 PIG-2024
However, given that I have still 1 month left before the official end of the GSoC, I will tackle the rest of the “Sugar” projects listed on the PIG GSoC page, which means adding syntax support for Tuple/Map/Bag conversions: PIG-1387
All my fixes will go in Pig 0.10, as 0.9 has already been branched and will be out very soon.
Working on the front end has been a very interesting and enriching experience.
- I got to learn how to use ANTLR (my mentor called me an “ANTLR expert” :P).
- I learned how Pig scripts are compiled and how to work with the logical, physical and mapreduce levels.
- I have a full understanding of the workflow and the dataflow of the operators in Pig. I am sure this will come in handy in the future.
- I also increased my proficiency in Pig/Latin scripting.
- Finally, I really got to seriously use and appreciate git. It makes working on different patches at the same time a breeze.